Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Welcome September!

     Trying to get my blog updated...it seems like there is just not enough time for all I need to do!!! Probably the story of everyone's life, but it has been a rat race...and the rats are winning!
     Each morning, I have prepared morning work and directions for the kids to complete upon arrival. In my little mind, this seems like it would make the morning start in a predictable and organized way. But those words just don't apply to an elementary classroom! This morning I had to count and receipt fundraiser money - which I am thankful we receive- but it takes time...additionally I had to record attendance, take up snack money and tally orders, write homework in for several of my students, answer questions from a dozen different sources, implement a new schedule with Americorps, send out students to complete a reading assessment, answer several calls, conference with my principal as she observed, and have a crash course in creating reports from the computer program we are using to build reading skills. All between 8:00 to 8:45ish.... I also had to gather homework for several student going out of town next week, catch up some students who had missed work and respond to notes from a few parents... I keep telling myself to be graceful and things will get better - smoother - more efficient each and every day... 
     We also had a fire drill, a reading lesson focusing on rereading, characteristics of expository texts, multiple meaning word within context, and comparing and contrasting using a Venn diagram... That was before we had a quiz on Virginia's water features and preparing a study guide for a map test on Virginia and it's location, regions, and physical characteristics... And that was the first half of my day! I almost forgot the many requests to go to the restroom, nurse, or for a bandaid. My kiddos always need something, but I hope they always know I want to help, protect, and care for them.
     I don't write this to complain, but to hopefully bring perspective as to how much we (the students and teachers) are able to accomplish in a relatively short amount of time. If you don't have ADHD when you begin teaching, you will develop it quickly! 
     I love my kids and am thankful everyday for their ability to be flexible and hard workers. I am also thankful for the times we can laugh and joke or help each other through trials... This is the life of a fourth grade teacher, and though I am very tired, I cherish each student and wouldn't trade any of them for the world!

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing and Jada (and myself) are beyond blessed to have you as her teacher!!! :-) We absolutely adore you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Jada bell! She is really been working hard this year and she has really impressed me!

    ReplyDelete