Saturday, September 27, 2014

Week 7... Time is Flying....

A month since my last blog. I meant to make more frequent posts, but life seems to get ahead of me! Fall is one of the busiest times of the year for everyone, and teachers are no exception. My major undertakings this past month have involved SAT, parent conferences, PTSO, Reading, and our spring Jamestown trip. 
SAT stands for student assistance team. Anytime I see something that concerns me I make contact with parents to try and get input and insight into what might be cause the issue and how to resolve them. I have always held to the philosophy that the parent is the expert on the child. No matter what. This allows me to put parents at ease and in control of any interventions, as well as show them we are truly on the same team! I have had meetings galore this week - only one 40 minute planning - but I think the playoffs are and will continue to be of great benefit to my students. 
Much of the past few weeks have been spent trying to plan a dazzling Fall Festival. There was significant decline in attendance and revenue last year and we are trying to get parents to help. We've sent home letters for volunteering and had a fantastic response. I have a special affinity for the spook room, so I have lots of ideas I have been planning and building! As an incentive, students whose parents volunteer to donate time or resources have been added to a list for our first annual MegaParty, which will take place about a week after the festival. Really praying all this comes together. I know people say be positive, but without action, effort, and sacrifice words are hollow....
Reading is improving from my point of view. I abandoned the digital test to use the paper format. The kids requested it and seem to really do about 25% better with the paper, on which they can highlight and make notes. I truly think test scores would improve dramatically if we were to go back to paper format. We are working hard on genre, summarization, main idea, details, inferring, affixes, syntax, and text structure. An awful lot is expected of these 9-10 year olds, but the amaze me with their progress. Report cards go out Tuesday...one sixth of the year is over...
On top of all the regular school stuff, we are working to raise funds for Jamestown. We will be taking the kids April 9-10 and run a gauntlet of activities and tours. I love this trip and have been so blessed to go several years as a help, but teaching Virginia Studies this year adds such a rich dimension. I get to see it through Ainsley's eyes and as an added bonus, 12 of my kiddos are getting to study in depth two books that bring the adventures to life, Blood on the River and A Lion to Guard Us. I am so appreciative to Shanda Sinnett for helping enrich these minds! We are currently selling Little Caesars pizza kits and will have a Longerberger basket bingo in November. Our kids just got done selling cookie dough as a school fundraiser and I know Girl Scouts are selling nuts and candy while Boy Scouts are selling popcorn. Asking others to purchase items is something I absolutely loathe, but honestly we would be very limited in the experiences we are able to offer without these sales. I would love to have some fresh ideas, especially ones giving people their money's worth. 
There have been some tears and trials this year (both from kids and teachers)! But I can honestly step back and say I absolutely adore my kids. They are such a blessing and we have made great strides in our educational endeavors thus far. I went to a football game today and saw so many students - past and current - and am so very proud to hear the call out my name and wave or hug me. I truly want to be the very best I can for the sake of each and every life I touch. So I press on!
I am ending with some pictures from our literature circles on Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. Please take a little time to read and view these! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment